Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Dr. Seuss and Aliens


Hello alien friends,

This week’s blog is, unfortunately, on the anemic side.  I don’t have a new book to review …not because haven’t sunk my teeth into something good (actually, I’m something of a book whore – more on that next week).  It’s because life has been busy…my daughter’s baseball season is up and running, and I’ve been writing more than I’ve been reading.

I’ve also attended some writing meetings and a lecture at the Ontario Library—(what’s up San Bernardino Library?  I have to travel some 35 miles to be involved in the SoCal-writing world).  I listened to a lecture by literary agent and lawyer Paul Levine on Wednesday night.  The lecture was eye-opening; filled with lots of information – some quite bitter going down.  However, as Dr. Seuss says,

                                    There are so many things you can learn about, but
                                    You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.

 So I’m glad I learned.

At yet another writer’s meeting (again, thanks to the city of Ontario) we were prompted to write about how we identify ourselves – not the suit we put on every day before we exit our front doors – but how we view ourselves.  Then we were asked to write about who influenced or nurtured our identity.  Since I don’t have much to discuss this week, I thought I would share it.

***

Kurt Vonnegut does not accept bad behavior (harming others) because he believes, much as I do, that humans are capable of, for lack of a better word, more.  He finds humor in everything, whether it is his belief that we are all here to fart around, or that we should never use a semicolon because of its hermaphroditic nature.  He believes in staying honest and striving to be a better person…which is why when asked how I identify myself, I say: I’m an alien striving to become human.

 

Good thing no one believes in aliens. J

Well that’s all folks.

Next week I’ll review, The Prince of the Earth by Mike Robinson. 

As always, feel free to leave a comment.

2 comments: